This homemade crusty bread is the most delicious and easy way to make your own bread at home.
Happy 2020!! I have always wanted to make bread but it always seemed a bit intimidating. Our Italian cousin makes his version every year when their family comes for the holidays and we all look forward to it. My sister raved about it and so when she came down for Christmas, I had her show me just how easy it was. It really is that simple! This homemade crusty bread will be a crowd pleaser and a family favorite.
I love bread with great passion. Although Jimmy and I try to stick to a low carb lifestyle, we still eat bread in moderation because we love carbs so much. This homemade crusty bread is the best of both worlds. It has a delicious crusty exterior but it is oh so soft on the inside. Spread some butter on it and it’s heaven in a bite. I kid you not, it’s amazing!
We made a video so that you can see just how easy it is to make at home. You will need a dutch oven or oven safe pot. I highly recommend using a dutch oven if you have one or borrow someone’s and make them bread too!
Here’s how to make your own homemade crusty bread at home.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dry active yeast (I use Fleischmann’s)
- 1.5 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Combine the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add the warm water and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. The dough will have a sticky consistency but don’t worry!
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a dark area like a cabinet or pantry. You want the the dough to sit overnight for at least 12 hours.
- The next day when you’re ready to bake the bread, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place your covered dutch oven or oven safe pot and make sure it heats in there for about 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out on a smooth counter that has some extra flour. Work a little flour into the dough and punch it around about 10-15 times with your hands. I recommend you watching the video for this.
- Fold your dough from the outside in forming a ball and place it on top of parchment paper. Let it rest wrapped in plastic while the dutch oven is done heating.
- When the dutch oven has heated for 30 minutes, carefully take it out with oven mitts. Place the dough and parchment paper into the dutch oven. Cover the dutch oven and place it in the oven to bake for around 40-45 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 12 minutes to get that delicious golden brown crust. Your house will smell amazing!!
Take it out of the oven and remove the bread by picking up the parchment paper. Place on a wooden board and allow it to cool for about 10-15 minutes. Slice and serve!! It’s absolutely heavenly!
I can not believe how easy this is! You have to try this at home and it will impress everyone. If you make this homemade crusty bread, be sure to share it with me on FB or IG. I can’t wait to make it again! How perfect would it be with some soup or as grilled cheese? It’s delicious lathered with butter. Omg I’m not drooling, you’re drooling!
Here’s the video!
Let all that you do be done in Love. 1 Corinthians 16:14